More power for home owners, says Peter

first_img Previous articleCinema operator questions need for third complex in LimerickNext articleEight sent to Special Criminal Court admin Advertisement Facebook Twitter Email Linkedincenter_img Print PETER Power has welcomed new legislation announced this week which aims to empower people against intruders in their home.The Minister of State is delighted that the situation has been addressed. “An attack on the family home and its occupants is an extremely serious crime. It is entirely natural for a home owner to protect his or her home and their family members”.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The new Bill will states that the use of justifiable force against an intruder with criminal intent would not exclude the use of force causing death.He pointed out that the question of defending the home from trespassers has caused great controversy since the Padraig Nally case.“An attack on a family home is a unique situation because we all have the right to feel safe and secure in our own homes. If that safety and security is violated or threatened, we should have the right to protect ourselves”.“Everyone should be entitled to defend themselves using all reasonable force and should not worry about a criminal prosecution if they do so”.The Bill also defines terms such as “dwelling”, “property” and the “curtilage” (area) of the home.Other areas which have been addressed include the absence of a requirement on the part of an occupier to retreat when defending their home or their family against people entering with criminal intent.The Limerick East TD highlighted the part of the part of the legislation which states that a person will not be liable in tort in respect of any injury, loss or damage arising from using reasonable force.“This means that a home owner will not be held liable civilly if they act reasonably in defending their home”. WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsMore power for home owners, says PeterBy admin – July 27, 2010 566 last_img read more

Enel looking for joint venture partner to expand African renewable energy business

first_imgEnel looking for joint venture partner to expand African renewable energy business FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:Enel SpA is looking for a financial partner to buy as much as 50% of its African renewable business as the Italian energy giant looks to extend wind and solar power projects across the continent.The search for a company to form a joint venture started before the coronavirus outbreak stalled the regional economy and will continue regardless, a spokesman for the Rome-based utility said in an emailed response to questions. Enel Green Power currently has sites in South Africa, Morocco and Zambia as part of an international expansion that also includes investments in Asia.The Italian company is building its future around green energy, with plans to increase its renewable capacity to 60% by 2022. Enel is adding as much as 3.6 gigawatts of new capacity in recently accessed and new markets within the next two years, mainly in Africa and Asia, the spokesman said.Like many companies, Enel is navigating the Covid-19 outbreak with a focus on digitization and home working while governments around the world impose lockdowns to curb the spread of the pandemic. Italy has been one of the worst-affected countries, with almost 22,000 deaths to date, compared with a global total of more than 134,000.[Loni Prinsloo]More: Enel seeks 50% financial partner for Africa renewable unitlast_img read more

Chelsea players in quarantine ahead of Premier League restart

first_imgAt least four Chelsea players have been forced to quarantine in line with government guidelines, the club confirmed on Wednesday.The Blues squad underwent coronavirus testing at the end of last week upon their return to training, in line with Premier League protocol ahead of the new season which begins on the weekend of September 12.While it’s unclear whether any members of Frank Lampard’s squad tested positive, the club have confirmed a handful of their players are now in quarantine.“We have a number of players that are following government guidelines regards quarantine but we are not briefing or confirming names,” Chelsea explained in a statement released on Wednesday.As the missive suggests, the club will not reveal the players affected on confidentiality grounds, but the news will put a dent in Frank Lampard’s pre-season plans on the same day they confirmed the signing of Leicester City full-back Ben Chilwell.Sheffield United, West Ham and Brighton have all recorded positive cases upon their return to training, with a total of 14 positives confirmed across no less than 12 clubs in the English top flight.Chelsea’s quarantine news comes on the same day that the UK government announced that the Blues were to form part of a pilot scheme designed to welcome football fans back into stadiums for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic first brought the sport to a halt in March.Lampard’s charges travel to Brighton for a friendly on Saturday, with the Seagulls’ Amex Stadium set to hold 2,500 spectators respecting social distancing protocol.“I know fans and their teams can’t wait to be reunited in stadia across the country, but it’s imperative we take a cautious and phased approach to get fans back in safely,” Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden announced on confirming the relaxation of restrictions on fans for the clash.The revised measures will also be applied in a women’s friendly between West Ham and Arsenal on the weekend as well as fixtures in cricket, rugby and certain horse racing meets among other activities.Chelsea will begin their 2020-21 campaign away against Brighton on September 14.last_img read more