‘No need for political intervention in WI cricket’

first_imgPORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says there is a need for “modern, sensible management” of West Indies cricket but does not believe regional politicians should intervene in the administration of the game.The Trinidad and Tobago leader argued that the sport in the Caribbean had been badly managed and said it was “disappointing” to witness the state in which it had now found itself.Speaking on local radio here, Rowley said he had hoped that last year’s aborted tour of India could have led to a watershed moment in the management of West Indies cricket.”I was kind of hoping that debacle in India would have resulted in the bankruptcy of the West Indies Cricket Board,” Rowley said candidly.”If the Indians had pressed for their [US$] 42 million and the West Indies Cricket Board couldn’t pay it, they go bankrupt and get out of business and then something else emerges as modern sensible management of this resource, this cultural iconic part of our existence that is West Indies cricket.”He continued: “It is really disappointing to see how we as West Indians have taken the best legacy that has been bequeathed to us and just ruined it by general misconduct.”Rowley was weighing in on the latest controversy to hit West Indies cricket, where head coach Phil Simmons was suspended for questioning the integrity of the selection process, regarding the one-day team for the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.’interference from outside’Simmons claimed there had been “interference from outside” behind the continued non-selection of Trinidadian all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard.However, Rowley said despite the state of the game regionally, he did not think political intervention would be warmly received.”If politicians set about to do that, politics always has a number of sides, there’s no one side in politics. If any politician or political party or any government set about to do that, the reaction will be ‘what are you doing in this? This is not politics.’ You now become part of the problem,” Rowley pointed out.”But we did play a role, the involvement of CARICOM through the Patterson Report. What more can we do? And we don’t want any more political involvement than that because if you get further involved, there’s going to be a push back against the political involvement.”Rowley said it was now ironic that Simmons was now set to answer to a West Indies Cricket Board panel over his comments, when the board itself was also guilty of glaring mistakes in the past.last_img read more

SHOCK AS ‘THE DODGE’ CLOSES ITS DOORS IN GAOTH DOBHAIR

first_imgA LEADING Co Donegal nightclub announced tonight it was closing its doors.The Dodge nightclub in Gaoth Dobhair would not give any reasons for its decisions but claimed it was only “for the time being.”In a statement, the club said: “Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regretfully would like to advise our customers that The Dodge Nightclub will be closed for the time being. “We will be back, bigger and better than ever.“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support since we opened. The Dodge WILL be back rocking Gweedore once again, very soon.”Last month punters at the club were angry when it closed its doors on a Saturday night.The club promised a full statement after that, but one was never issued. Previous article here:https://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/15/clubbers-angry-after-nightclub-shuts-its-doors/ SHOCK AS ‘THE DODGE’ CLOSES ITS DOORS IN GAOTH DOBHAIR was last modified: February 29th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SHOCK AS ‘THE DODGE’ CLOSES ITS DOORS IN GAOTH DOBHAIRlast_img read more

Winnipeg mourns loss of street artist Daniel Martin

first_imgBrittany HobsonAPTN NewsA Winnipeg restaurant owner is raising money to pay tribute to a beloved street artist in the city.Christa Guenther started a Go Fund Me page to help pay for the funeral costs of Daniel Martin, who died last month from complications related to cancer.Within a week the campaign surpassed its goal and more than 100 people had donated.“He’s touched the hearts of so many people and I’m not surprised actually because that was Daniel,” Guenther said. “He was jolly, he was humble, he was kind.”Martin began drawing at the age of 24, after meeting another Indigenous artist.A residential school survivor, he lived in group homes throughout his teenage years.The trauma he endured led him to a life of addiction.But drawing helped change that.He lived at the Main Street Project men’s shelter before his death.Guenther plans to donate extra funds from Martin’s funeral fundraising campaign to the shelter.A service is being held Thursday morning in Winnipeg at the church Martin [email protected]@bhobs22last_img read more