Blues sport

first_imgOxford fencer makes top ten at European Championships Sophie Troiano of Christ Church also represented Great Britain, fencing in the women’s foil. Ken OkamuraFirst half Oxford blitz does for Nottingham netballers Oxford extended their netball winning streak with a 39-27 win against Notingham II. Oxford had the game won by half time, having raced to a 25-10 lead. In the second half they slowed up, and the Nottingham side closed up thanks to Ellie Crush, their exceptionally accurate Goal Attack. Oxford’s lead never looked in doubt, however, and they pulled away again in the final quarter.Meanwhile, the Roos annahilated Staffs II by a staggering score of 121-1.Binyamin EvenWomen Hockey Blues suffer disappointing drawOxford slumped to a disappointing draw against St Mary’s this week, squandering a torrent of possession and chances to end up all square at 1-1. The first half saw a succession of squandered short corners and a gradual erosion of the composure. The turning point appeared to have arrived deep in the first half when Beth Wild won a penalty flick after two atrocious challenges; but Vicky Anderson was denied by the post. Jo Sumpter finally broke the deadlock, but Oxford continued to waste opportunities. They were punished after half time, as Mary’s scored a controversial equaliser following a scramble in the Oxford area. The Blues will aim to get back on track against Bath next week.Lisa RavenscroftMagdalen fresher Jamie Kenber has claimed ninth place at the Junior Eeuropean Championships in Tapolca, Hungary. The current British men’s senior foil champion was unbeaten in the poule round, followed by two knockout contests, before losing to Italian Martino Minuto in the last sixteen, 15-9. He also formed part of the British foil team which came fifth.ARCHIVE: 5th week MT 2005last_img read more

Single Mother Urges Lawmakers To Study Spousal Support, Change Indiana’s Divorce Laws

first_imgPrint Friendly, PDF & Email Single Mother Urges Lawmakers To Study Spousal Support, 2018  March 6, 2018By Quinn FitzgeraldTheStatehouseFile.comINDIANAPOLIS ­– After 25 years of marriage, Lori Vanatsky was left alone with her three children, one under 18, when her husband packed his bags and moved to North Carolina, taking a lifetime of support with him.Vanatsky, 46, of Zionsville, told a Senate committee Wednesday that she had been a stay-at-home mom and had limited resources when her spouse left because Indiana law does not provide for spousal support under most circumstances.Lori Vanatsky, of Zionsville, testifies in support of a resolution to examine support for spouses and children in a divorce. Photo by Quinn Fitzgerald, TheStatehouseFile.comShe approached Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, with her situation and convinced him that something needs to be done for spouses who end up in situations like hers. That is why Delph has proposed Senate Resolution 32, which calls for a study committee to explore topics of spousal support and updates to Indiana’s divorce laws.“Through the course of getting to know Lori and her situation, I’ve come to believe that our divorce law, our spousal support, and what we allow spouses who are in similar situations is inadequate in the state of Indiana,” Delph said.Vanatsky shared her story before the Senate Judiciary Committee during testimony on SR 32, which passed unanimously.“I will not benefit from this legislation at all, but I just want to make sure nobody else is in this situation because it shouldn’t happen,” Vanatsky said. “The purpose of this resolution is not to do the things that are laid out in it, but to study it and see if there’s a better way.”Vanatsky and her ex-husband had decided early in their marriage that she would be a stay-at-home mother like each of their mothers were.After the divorce, Vanatsky had been out of the workforce or underemployed for 22 years. Today she is the Recruitment and Events Marketing Coordinator at the Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis.When she returned to the workforce, Vanatsky said she was starting at the bottom making beginners’ wages.“It’s insanity to me that he’s able to walk away and not support his family,” Vanatsky said.Andrew Soshnick, former chair of the Indiana State Bar Association Family & Juvenile Law Section, said he is in support of the study committee because he also believes Indiana’s alimony laws are insufficient.Andrew Soshnick, former chair of the Indiana State Bar Association Family & Juvenile Law Section, testifies on Senate Resolution 32 before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Photo by Quinn Fitzgerald, TheStatehouseFile.comSoshnick told the committee that members of the family law bar believe it’s time for lawmakers to study the question of whether Indiana’s divorce laws serve its citizens and are in sync with what the rest of the country is doing.Vanatsky said the study won’t benefit her, but that she hopes it will lead to changes in the law that will help others.“She is turning a negative point into a positive one,” Delph said. “I hope the legislative council takes it seriously so we can get a summer study committee before we recommend it before the General Assembly.”Delph said he also hopes that this will ultimately hold men more accountable for their actions when it comes to family matters.“It’s outrageous for men to have a stay-at-home spouse, who raises their kids successfully and then to abandon them. I want that to stop,” Delph said.Sen. Gregory Taylor, D-Indianapolis, Sen. Susan Glick, R-LaGrange, and Sen. Eric Koch, R-Bedford, asked to be added to the bill.“If there’s anything that has a direct effect on the people of Indiana to study this issue is something we all should be 100 percent behind, no matter what side you’re on to look at this issue,” Taylor said.FOOTNOTES: Quinn Fitzgerald is a reporter for TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students. This story has been updated to reflect corrections made. FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

MAN CHARGED WITH ASSAULT OVER ST PATRICK’S NIGHT ATTACK

first_imgThe scene of the attack in FalcarraghA MAN has been charged tonight with assault following an attack in Falcarragh on St Patrick’s night.The man will appear at Letterkenny court on Wednesday morning. He was charged by Gardai in Glenties investigating an attack on Patrick McLaughlin, the 47-year-old assaulted outside Flynn’s Bar in Falcarragh at around 12.30am on Monday.Mr McLaughlin remains in a critical condition in the Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where he is in a coma.Members of his family are at his bedside.The man charged with assault will appear at Falcarragh District Court sitting in Letterkenny at 10.30am tomorrow.A second man arrested by Gardai investigating the attack is still being questioned at Milford garda station.MAN CHARGED WITH ASSAULT OVER ST PATRICK’S NIGHT ATTACK was last modified: March 19th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:MAN CHARGED WITH ASSAULT OVER ST PATRICK’S NIGHT ATTACKlast_img read more