Norm Lewis & Sierra Boggess Step Into The Phantom of the Opera

first_img Broadway.com Audience Choice Award winner Boggess has previously played Christine in Las Vegas and in both the London and Broadway 25th anniversary productions of the show. She also originated the role in Phantom’s London sequel Love Never Dies, for which she received an Oliver Award nomination. She made her Broadway debut as Ariel in The Little Mermaid. Her credits also include Master Class on Broadway and Les Miserables in the West End. The Phantom of the Opera, Broadway’s longest-running show, continues its record-breaking run at the Majestic Theatre. In addition to Lewis and Boggess, the musical currently stars Jeremy Hays as Raoul, Laird Mackintosh as Monsieur Andre, Tim Jerome as Monsieur Firmin, Michele McConnell as Carlotta, Ellen Harvey as Madame Giry, Christian Sebek as Piangi and Deanna Doyle as Meg Giry. At certain performances, Sara Jean Ford will play the role of Christine. View Comments from $29.00 Lewis, who received a Tony nomination for Porgy and Bess, has also appeared on Broadway in Miss Saigon, The Who’s Tommy, Chicago, Side Show, The Wild Party, Amour, Les Miserables, Sondheim on Sondheim and The Little Mermaid (playing Boggess’ father). His film and TV credits include Scandal, All My Children and Les Miserables in Concert: The 25th Anniversary. Sierra Boggess Related Shows Let your spirit start to soar! Tony nominee Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess step into The Phantom of the Opera on May 12, with Lewis making Broadway history as the first African-American actor to play the title role on the Great White Way. He replaces Laird Mackintosh, who donned the mask in the interim following Hugh Panaro’s final performance on May 3. Boggess will take over from Mary Michael Patterson as Christine Daae. Star Files The Phantom of the Opera Norm Lewislast_img read more

Asda enters Safeway fray

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Landscape’s Western front

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

US intelligence told lawmakers of Russian bid to boost Trump reelection, source

first_imgThe briefers warned the committee in the classified briefing that Russia was working to cast doubt on the integrity of the Nov. 3 vote while at the same time boosting Trump’s election to a second four-year term.”They [the Russians] are favoring one candidate while they do it,” said the person, adding that the briefers identified that candidate asTrump. The source declined to elaborate.There was no immediate response to a request for comment from committee Republicans.The New York Times reported on Thursday that a day after the briefing, Trump rebuked acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire for allowing his staff to appear before the committee. It quoted five people familiar with the matter. Trump said on Wednesday he was replacing Maguire on an acting basis with Richard Grenell, a strong Trump loyalist who has served as ambassador to Germany since 2018.The Times said that in reprimanding Maguire, Trump cited the presence in the briefing of Democratic Representative Adam Schiff, the intelligence panel chairman. He led the House impeachment proceedings against Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress stemming from the president’s dealings with Ukraine.The Republican-controlled Senate acquitted Trump of the charges last month.The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The Washington Post reported that Trump rebuked Maguire in an Oval Office meeting after a Republican ally informed the president of the election security briefing.Shelby Pierson, a Maguire lieutenant who oversees election security, led last week’s briefing for the House committee, according to the Times.The Office of the Director of National Intelligence declined to comment.US officials have long warned that Russia and other countries would try to interfere in the 2020 US presidential election campaign.The US intelligence community concluded that Russia used fake news, cyber attacks and other methods in an operation designed to swing the 2016 presidential election to Trump over Democrat Hillary Clinton.Russia denies the allegation.Trump has repeatedly questioned the finding. At a 2018 summit, he said he found Russian President Vladimir Putin’s denials of Russian meddling “extremely strong and powerful.”Former Special Counsel Robert Mueller concluded in a report last year that there was no conclusive evidence of coordination betweenRussia and the Trump campaign. Mueller was unable, however, to clear Trump of obstructing his investigation.  US intelligence officials told lawmakers last week that Russia is interfering in the 2020 election campaign by aiming to cast doubt on the integrity of the vote and boost President Donald Trump’s reelection, a person familiar with the briefing said on Thursday.The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity, said Trump’s Republican allies on the Democratic-led House Intelligence Committee questioned the assessment presented by officials of the Office of National Intelligence last Thursday.”The Republicans responded as you would expect. They went nuts,” said the person. “They questioned the intelligence.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

Bukayo Saka claims Arsenal’s ‘special’ young players are ready to take on the world after sparkling in pre-season

first_img Metro Sport ReporterSunday 21 Jul 2019 11:49 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.8kShares Bukayo Saka has been one of Arsenal’s standout players during pre-season (Picture: Getty)Arsenal winger Bukayo Saka has claimed that he and the club’s other young prospects are ready to ‘take on the world’ after impressing during pre-season.Unai Emery has struggled to improve his squad with new signings so far this summer and consequently has utilised some of Arsenal’s academy products during the club’s tour of the United States.A number of Arsenal’s youngsters have caught the eye, including 20-year-old striker Eddie Nketiah, 19-year-old midfielder Joe Willock and 17-year-old Saka, who scored his first professional goal during the 3-0 win over Colorado Rapids last Tuesday.Reiss Nelson, 19 and Emile Smith Rowe, 18, are both highly-regarded at the Emirates and are pushing for places in Emery’s first-team squad after spending time on loan at Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig respectively last season.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTFollowing Arsenal’s 2-1 win against Bayern Munich on Thursday, Emery stated that it was his ‘responsibility’ to give the club’s young players a chance in the first-team and Saka is adamant that they are ready to make the step up. Bukayo Saka claims Arsenal’s ‘special’ young players are ready to take on the world after sparkling in pre-season Comment Advertisement Eddie Nketiah scored twice for Arsenal during their 3-0 win over Fiorentina (Picture: Getty)‘The players coming up from the academy are so special. The next generation of us can be in this Arsenal team and take on the world,’ Saka said.‘The boss is doing a good job of managing all of us, helping us to progress every day and to learn.‘I just have to keep pushing. Showing the boss what I can do and when the time comes, I am ready to play. When I get the chance, then I can take it.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityLondon-born Saka was handed a few fleeting appearances by Emery last season, featuring twice in the Europa League and once apiece in the FA Cup and Premier League.Saka was in inspired form as Arsenal made it three wins from three games as they thrashed Fiorentina 3-0 thanks to goals from Nketiah (2) and Willock.As well as Saka, Nketiah has taken his opportunity to impress and Emery insisted that he will be a part of Arsenal’s squad next season despite speculation linking him with a loan to Bristol City.‘Last year we had Auba, Lacazette and Danny Welbeck,’ Emery said. ‘They had space to play. We didn’t sign another striker at the moment because we want to give the chances to Nketiah.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Advertisementlast_img read more

The “no difference” theory is dead

first_imgMetcatorNet 9 February 2015Fresh research has just tossed a grenade into the incendiary issue of same-sex parenting. Writing in the British Journal of Education, Society & Behavioural Science, a peer-reviewed journal, American sociologist Paul Sullins concludes that children’s “Emotional problems [are] over twice as prevalent for children with same-sex parents than for children with opposite-sex parents”.He says confidently: “it is no longer accurate to claim that no study has found children in same-sex families to be disadvantaged relative to those in opposite-sex families.” This defiant rebuttal of the “no difference” hypothesis is sure to stir up a hornet’s next as the Supreme Court prepares to trawl through arguments for and against same-sex marriage. It will be impossible for critics to ignore it, as it is based on more data than any previous study — 512 children with same-sex parents drawn from the US National Health Interview Survey.The emotional problems included misbehaviour, worrying, depression, poor relationships with peers and inability to concentrate. After crunching the numbers, Sullins found opposite-sex parents provided a better environment. “Biological parentage uniquely and powerfully distinguishes child outcomes between children with opposite-sex parents and those with same-sex parents,” he writes.…Until recently nearly all studies of same-sex parenting were very small. In a survey of 49 studies in 2010, one researcher found that their mean sample size was only 39 children. Only four of these were random samples; the others had been selected by contacting gay and lesbian groups. An ambitious 2012 study by Mark Regnerus, of the University of Texas at Austin, identified only 39 young adults who had lived with a same-sex couple for more than three years out of 2,988 cases.http://www.mercatornet.com/articles/view/the_no_difference_theory_is_dead#commentslast_img read more

Candoni local nabbed over rape charge

first_imgBACOLOD City – Charged with rape, a man was arrested in Barangay Haba, Candoni, Negros Occidental. Resident Jaime Garen, 78, was caught on the strength of an arrest warrant around 12:30 p.m. on May 31, police said. Police officers served the warrant issued by Judge Rodney Magbanua of the Regional Trial Court Branch 61 in Kabankalan City dated Jan. 31, 2020. The suspect was detained in the lockup cell of the Candoni municipal police station. The court recommended no bail bond for his temporary liberty./PNlast_img

March 9, 2019 Police Blotter

first_imgMarch 9, 2019 Police Blotter030919 Decatur County EMS Report030919 Decatur County Fire Report030919 Decatur County Jail Report030919 Decatur County Law Reportlast_img

CWI offers condolences on the passing of the late Tony Cozier’s wife

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua – Cricket West Indies (CWI) Tuesday extended condolences to the Cozier family on the passing of Mrs Jillian Cozier (nee McKinstry), the widow of legendary cricket journalist Tony Cozier. Mrs Cozier died on Sunday in Barbados. She was 76.CWI President Ricky Skerrit said:“We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Mrs Cozier and I want to extend deepest sympathy to her son Craig, daughter Natalie, grandchildren Jodi, Laila and Kailee and the entire family. Jillian was herself a cricket enthusiast in a cricket loving family. Mrs. Cozier was a pillar of strength to her husband, Tony, whose work in cricket journalism was worldwide and world class.”Craig Cozier, who is himself now a leading cricket statistician and broadcast producer, also paid tribute to his mother.He said:“She was a wonderful lady. She was the rock in the family. My father travelled for over 50 years covering cricket and she was always there to make sure things were in place. She played hockey for Pickwick Club and loved all sports. She was dedicated to her family and will be fondly remembered by all who she came into contact with.”May she rest in eternal peace.The late Tony Cozier was the son of Jimmy Cozier, a well-known cricket writer in the Caribbean, who began writing on cricket as a teenager in 1958. He studied journalism at Carleton University, Ottawa, and played hockey for Barbados and club cricket for Wanderers and then Carlton.Cozier’s first commentary was made during the West Indies-Australia series in 1965, and he was an ever-present voice for five decades thereafter. He also worked extensively for overseas television and radio stations. As a writer, he was prolific in newspapers, magazines and books.Incidentally, Tony died on May 11, 2016 while his wife succumbed on May 10, 2020, one day shy of four years since his departure.The Guyana Chronicle Sports Desk extends sincere condolences to the bereaving family.last_img read more

Draft environmental report on Master Plan released to public

first_imgThough its completion is still decades away, USC’s Master Plan is one step closer to becoming a reality with the release of a draft environmental report that this summer.Store owners – Matthew Kravitz works at his store, Dr. A.D. Kravitz Optometrists, at the University Village. He is one of many store owners who will be affected by USC’s Master Plan. – Ted Gerike | Daily Trojan The university’s Master Plan aims to revitalize the surrounding community around USC and make it a more residential campus over the next 25 to 30 years. The 4,000-page Environmental Impact Report — which is required for all major development projects in California — evaluates and reports any significant impact the Master Plan will have on the environment.Kristina Raspe, associate senior vice president of real estate at USC, said the draft report is currently being circulated for public comment. The public hearings for the report will start at the end of this calendar year or at the beginning of 2011.“The community has been incredibly supportive,” Raspe said. “There has been pressure on the university to build more housing so students will stop taking away community housing.”The report studies about 20 to 30 environmental categories including air quality, water quality and traffic. The Los Angles City Council will decide whether to approve the Master Plan based on the impacts outlined in the report.“Some of the categories may have no effect on the environment and some other categories may only have a short-term effect,” Raspe said. “When the EIR goes to the City Council for a vote, they will have to decide if the negative impacts in the EIR are outweighed by the benefits of the project.”USC’s Master Plan includes a renovation of District 3, which includes the University Village, Cardinal Gardens and Century Apartments.According to the Los Angeles Times, USC’s plan, which includes adding upscale retail stores and about 5,000 beds for students, will cost about $900 million.Raspe said it has taken four years to truly develop the Master Plan because the university wanted to incorporate the input of every party involved — students, faculty, elected officials and the community.Some students expressed concern that the plan might only cater to USC students and not serve the needs of the community surrounding campus — questions that have also been raised by others after hearing  USC’s plans for the area.“If we replace the [U.V.] with trendy restaurants and shops, that would be a loss. I guess I would try to just have more of a variety of retailers and amenities,” said Michael Boisvert, a junior majoring in music performance.Retailers have yet to be named, but Raspe said they will serve an assortment of socioeconomic backgrounds.“We still need to work out who the retailers will be. Don’t forget that about 60 percent of our students are on some form of financial aid so the retail needs do overlap in that regard,” Raspe said.The Master Plan will also bring a new full-service grocery store, drugstore, restaurant and cinema.“It’s hard to balance what the community wants and what USC students would like to see in their community. I wouldn’t know how to do it,” said Albert Sung, a junior majoring in biological sciences.For the past few decades, the university has focused on shedding the commuter campus label and trying to become more of a residential campus. Raspe said the Master Plan reflects this commitment.“The process took four years because we realized it would be transformational,” Raspe said. “Although the construction process won’t be fun for any of us, the outcome is well worth it. We have really transformed ourselves from a commuting campus to a more residential one.”Boisvert said the Master Plan will strengthen the university’s goal toward becoming a true residential campus.“This isn’t the ’80s anymore — people can come and stay here and be safe,” he said. “And I think it’s good that we’re taking more steps to make sure people know that.”last_img read more