‘No need for political intervention in WI cricket’

first_imgPORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says there is a need for “modern, sensible management” of West Indies cricket but does not believe regional politicians should intervene in the administration of the game.The Trinidad and Tobago leader argued that the sport in the Caribbean had been badly managed and said it was “disappointing” to witness the state in which it had now found itself.Speaking on local radio here, Rowley said he had hoped that last year’s aborted tour of India could have led to a watershed moment in the management of West Indies cricket.”I was kind of hoping that debacle in India would have resulted in the bankruptcy of the West Indies Cricket Board,” Rowley said candidly.”If the Indians had pressed for their [US$] 42 million and the West Indies Cricket Board couldn’t pay it, they go bankrupt and get out of business and then something else emerges as modern sensible management of this resource, this cultural iconic part of our existence that is West Indies cricket.”He continued: “It is really disappointing to see how we as West Indians have taken the best legacy that has been bequeathed to us and just ruined it by general misconduct.”Rowley was weighing in on the latest controversy to hit West Indies cricket, where head coach Phil Simmons was suspended for questioning the integrity of the selection process, regarding the one-day team for the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka.’interference from outside’Simmons claimed there had been “interference from outside” behind the continued non-selection of Trinidadian all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard.However, Rowley said despite the state of the game regionally, he did not think political intervention would be warmly received.”If politicians set about to do that, politics always has a number of sides, there’s no one side in politics. If any politician or political party or any government set about to do that, the reaction will be ‘what are you doing in this? This is not politics.’ You now become part of the problem,” Rowley pointed out.”But we did play a role, the involvement of CARICOM through the Patterson Report. What more can we do? And we don’t want any more political involvement than that because if you get further involved, there’s going to be a push back against the political involvement.”Rowley said it was now ironic that Simmons was now set to answer to a West Indies Cricket Board panel over his comments, when the board itself was also guilty of glaring mistakes in the past.last_img read more

Tall South faces speedy north five

first_imgWill you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra LATEST STORIES MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California collegecenter_img In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next This year’s PBA All-Star Game will be size versus speed as the quick and athletic North team clashes with the towering South squad on March 31 in Calasiao, Pangasinan.Joining forces anew are Cebuano giants June Mar Fajardo and Greg Slaughter, who will be teaming up with James Yap, Scottie Thompson and Mark Barroca for the South.ADVERTISEMENT Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Antidope seminar for sea members Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title The North All-Stars, meanwhile, will bank on star guards LA Tenorio and Paul Lee and ferocious forward Calvin Abueva.Completing the starters for the North are sweet-shooting Marcio Lassiter and high-leaping big man Japeth Aguilar.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe PBA announced the starting lineups on Tuesday after a month of fan voting.The league decided to return to the old format where the festivities will be held in one venue, rather than one game each in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. View commentslast_img read more

Moves afoot to open plantain chip factory in Leguan

first_img– Business Ministry opens bidsGovernment has revitalised plans by the previous Administration to open a plantain chip factory in Leguan, Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara).The Business Ministry, in a local newspaper advertisement, is inviting interested investors to submit Expressions of Interest along with their business proposal for this undertaking.According to the Government ad, investors should have the capacity to take possession of the property immediately after signing the contract.The size of the property is 8625 square feet and includes machines such as slicing processors, and blanching, and dewatering, frying, de-oiling, seasoning and packaging equipment.The move to establish a plantain chip factory, in order to push the local manufacturing sector, was touted by former President Donald Ramotar in the lead-up to the 2015 General and Regional Elections.The plan to open a plantain chip factory in Leguan was revitalisedRegion Three Vice Chairman Sheik AyubeThis project falls under the previous Administration’s Rural Enterprise Development programme which commenced back in 2014.These projects initially comprised the construction of two call centres – one in Tuschen in Region Three and one in Enmore in Region Four, and two chip factories, one in Leguan and one in the neighbouring island of Wakenaam.When the new Administration assumed office, this much-anticipated initiative was shelved.Just earlier this year, residents were calling on the Government to move ahead with the plan to open the factory to provide jobs for the people on the island.Region Three Vice Chairman Sheik Ayube had noted with concern the apparent neglect of the project.Shortly after their demands, the National Budget 2016 was presented in the National Assembly and Business Minister Dominic Gaskin indicated that the project was back on the cards.He explained that the entire Rural Enterprise Development initiative was put on hold to facilitate a review.Gaskin announced that as a result of the review, Government decided on some modifications and will complete three of the four projects that were begun under the initiative.He noted that the building earmarked in Leguan for the factory was constructed with no consideration for how either “a person or a plantain” could get from the main roadway into the factory when it became operational.Nonetheless, he said this would be addressed by Government.With regard to the development of a plantain chip factory in Wakenaam, the Business Minister said Government was unable to proceed with that aspect of the plan because the area in question was prone to flooding and erosion, and therefore posed a risk to the entire operation.Meanwhile, the Business Ministry is also moving apace to open the call centre in Enmore.An invitation for bids is being advertised for the completion of phase two for the call centre, which would include building works and the construction of external works along with facility.last_img read more

Jagdeo blames Govt for parking meter project

first_imgBharrat Jagdeo has called out the government for failing to scrap the parking meter contract before the project had materialized. He denounced the sympathies now being expressed by President David Granger and his administration in relation to the corrupt initiative and further highlighted that a reduction in the rates will not solve the problem.Details of this story will be published in the February 14, 2017 edition of Guyana Times.last_img

Cranston and fellow Rams competing in NCAA playoffs

first_imgCranston, a junior on the team, and her fellow CSU Rams’ journey to the NCAA Final Four will begin with a match against the Oregon Ducks, who enter the playoffs ranked number 13th nationally with a 21-9 record.The rams enter the tournament with a record of 23-5.The Rams will enter their first-round match-up with Oregon with the hopes of advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the fifth consecutive season.- Advertisement -With a Thursday evening victory, CSU could advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament and face off against the winner between Hawaii and Northern Colorado. That game would take place the evening of Friday, Dec.2.If unable to make it to Hawaii, those interested can catch the game in a variety of ways. Fans can listen to the game via the school’s website, or can visit the NCAA website to stream a video feed.Thursday evening’s game begins at 8 p.m. MST.Advertisementlast_img read more

Female cyclers want a spot at the hub of competition

first_imgIn recent years, women have become the fastest-growing consumer base for cycling, accounting for 45 percent of all bike purchases in the nation. But most large-scale cycling events – including the eight-day, 700-mile Tour of California due to hit Santa Clarita on Feb. 24 – exclude women from participating in competition. In more than a dozen years of pro-cycling, Sandra Kolb has experienced plenty of snubbing firsthand. Kolb said most female races get less media coverage, and prizes tend to be smaller. “We want to make the public aware that women are racing domestically just as much as men, and we hope to get one day of the California tour before its run is over,” Kolb said. John Fries, co-owner of Bicycle John’s – with locations in Northridge, Burbank and Acton – has watched his female clientele steadily increase in the last few years. “With the gym and working out becoming more popular with women in the last couple of decades, and spinning workouts taking off in the last few years, cycling has been the next level for many active women,” Fries said. And Fries has taken women’s cycling on as a personal mission. He invests about $40,000 annually in women’s cycling and has committed to sponsoring a race for the ladies next year if they are not included in the California tour by then. “Sponsors need to recognize women; it’s about equality,” he said. Despite obstacles that women’s cycling continues to face, Johnson is excited to have an event celebrating female riders on a day when all eyes will be on bikes. There will be two races the morning of Feb. 24. At 9:30 a.m., women’s category three and four will compete, and at 10:30 a.m., women’s category one and two (or pro racers) will compete. The pro-race has already attracted riders from as far east as Georgia. Prizes will include cash for the top 20 in the pro-race, a Cannondale bike frame and wheels from Shimano. “We are just trying to have some fun,” Johnson said. For Johnson – who discovered a passion for cycling after knee surgery meant she could no longer do high-impact workouts – having the spotlight on women’s cycling is about getting more women to enjoy a sport that has given her so much. “Cycling gives you such freedom. You get to hop on your bike and go to places you might not otherwise go,” she said. Johnson remembers how she used to bike all the way from Van Nuys to Redondo Beach, stop for some breakfast, and turn around and ride back home. Cycling is such a part of Johnson’s lifestyle that even her family’s move to Santa Clarita was no coincidence. “We moved here because we knew about all the bike paths and the wide streets with less traffic,” Johnson said. She hopes the race this month will attract enough attention to get women included in the Tour of California next year, or at least encourage more women to get on their bikes and ride. But she doesn’t want to discourage anyone from also watching the men in the bigger race. “We will be done with plenty of time for people to watch the men finish. We are encouraging people to do both, not one or the other.” For more information visit www.santaclaritagrandprix.com or call (661) 309-3135. Smaller prizes Long rides connie.llanos@dailynews.com (661) 257-5254160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Girls can ride, too. That’s the message Irene Johnson and her band of lady cyclists are trying to get out. Later this month, the Amgen Tour of California is coming to Santa Clarita – a major event in the sport of cycling – but this group of ladies argues that their all-women’s pro-cycling race could be the real event to watch. “Women’s cycling has really taken off in the last couple of years,” Johnson said. “We ride just as fast and put in just as much work as the men.” last_img read more

Vidal to Man United update! Chile boss Sampaoli claims Van Gaal has concerns over Juventus star’s knee

first_img1 Arturo Vidal Chile boss Jorge Sampaoli claims Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has serious doubts about signing Arturo Vidal due to the midfielder’s injury problems.The Red Devils have been strongly linked this summer with the Juventus man, who stared for Chile at the World Cup.Quoted by El Mercurio, a newspaper in Vidal’s homeland, Sampaoli made reference to a potential 80 million US dollars (around £47million) deal between Juve and United being jeopardised by the knee issue.Vidal underwent surgery on his right knee in May before returning to help his country reach the last 16 in Brazil.Sampaoli was quoted as saying: “The problem in Vidal’s transfer from Juventus to Manchester United for 80 million dollars is the doubt that Van Gaal has with respect to the improvement of Arturo’s knee.”last_img read more

Hitman Kane is Tottenham’s future – Pochettino

first_img“He is the present and the future,” said Pochettino when quizzed whether Kane’s dominant header possessed traits of an old-fashioned English centre-forward.“It is amazing all that he is achieving, (I’m) so proud and happy he is in our side.”Kane’s goal was his seventh in seven league games against the club who rejected him as a youngster.“I look forward to these games. It was a great performance by the team and thankfully I was there to put one away,” said Kane, who also passed up other chances as Spurs’ could easily have ran out more convincing winners.Tottenham’s prospects of finishing in the top four have been boosted by seven points from a tough three-game run starting with victory over Manchester United at Wembley 10 days ago which was followed by Kane’s stoppage time penalty to secure a draw at Liverpool last weekend.“That’s what we needed. We had tough fixtures: United, Liverpool and Arsenal all in a row and seven points from those games is fantastic,” added Kane.“We’ve got to build on it, another big game in the Champions League now and keep the momentum going.”Spurs could have been made to pay for their profligacy as Arsenal substitute Alexandre Lacazatte missed a glorious chance to level a minute from time.“Kane made the difference and that is what he is about,” said Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, whose side are in sixth place, six points adrift of the top four.“Once they scored you could see we were wobbling for a while and they could have scored one or two more, but in the last 10 minutes we should have come back to 1-1.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Tottenham’s England striker Harry Kane shone against Arsenal and is the club’s “present and the future,” his manager, Mauricio Pochettino said © IKIMAGES/AFP / Ian KINGTONLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 10 – Mauricio Pochettino labelled Harry Kane Tottenham’s “present and future” after the striker again proved the scourge of Arsenal with the goal that gave Spurs a 1-0 derby win on Saturday.Kane soared above the Arsenal defence to head home his 32nd goal of the season four minutes into the second-half to move Pochettino’s men above Liverpool and Chelsea into third in the Premier League fight for Champions League places.last_img read more

England news: Liverpool and Man United players return – Predicted XI

first_img 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 8. James Milner (right wing) 11 2. Nathaniel Clyne (right back) 5. Ryan Bertrand (left back) 10. Ross Barkley (centre attacking midfield) 6. Jordan Henderson (centre midfield) 9. Adam Lallana (left wing) 7. Danny Drinkwater (centre midfield) 11. Marcus Rashford (centre forward) 3. Chris Smalling (centre back) 4. Gary Cahill (centre back) 1. Fraser Forster (goalkeeper) – click the arrow, right, to see the full England predicted XI 11 11 The deadline for announcing the final 23-man squad is May 31 and therefore this is the last chance for England players to impress in a competitive match situation.Expect a much changed XI to the one that scraped past Turkey last week with the Manchester United and Liverpool players involved in the FA Cup and Europa League finals expected to get their chance.Fabian Delph was ruled out of contention for the tournament in France with a groin injury and Daniel Sturridge is a doubt for the game with Australia after picking up yet another injury.Captain Wayne Rooney is likely to start from the bench having already been assured of his place in the squad by Hodgson.Click the arrow above, right, to see full England predicted XI to face Australia. 11last_img read more

Inishowen man pleads guilty to careless driving causing death

first_imgAn Inishowen man has pleaded guilty to careless driving causing death.Evan Quinn, from Buncrana, appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court. Quinn, of Meenagorey, had originally faced a charge of dangerous driving causing the death of Martin Strain at Tooban, Burnfoot, on August 23rd, 2015.However, the indictment was amended at Wednesday’s sitting of the Circuit Court where a jury had just been about to be sworn in.The accused is also charged with careless driving causing serious bodily harm on the same date.Judge John Aylmer agreed to recommend the preparation of a Probation Report and adjourned the case for sentencing until the April session of the Circuit Court.Inishowen man pleads guilty to careless driving causing death was last modified: December 6th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranacareless drivingcourtdeathdonegalEvan QuinnInishowenlast_img read more